[plug] html editors

James Devenish devenish at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Wed Jan 8 12:28:59 WST 2003

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 12:11:17PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> >Anyone able to recommend good html editors.  I'm not so interested in
> >those wysiwig type things though.
>
> vim / gvim :-)
>
> With syntax highlighting enabled if you like that, it's an /execellent/
> editor.

vim is my primary editor, so I'd endorse this :)

> No tag insertion

In several ways, you can make this available. I do a lot of doc-
umentation in DocBook and with the rising status of XML, have moved
to DocBook XML. Of course, this is terribly verbose and laboursome to
write. But with vim's help to (a) repeat recent elements, (b) close
elements, (c) "balance" elements (e.g. jump from a <para> to the closing
</para>), (d) collapse/expand portions of the hierarchy, (e) do nice
indentation, I find it very manageable.

> personally, I've never found it useful to pull down a menu for a 4-10
> char snippet of text, anyway.

I have found this, too. Except that one useful place for such a thing,
is when you have a DTD that you are not familiar with (this could easily
arise if you are editing configuration files, for instance). If saves a
bit of time being told which elements or attributes are available (in
order to jog your memory). I don't personally use such a feature, though
the base syntax highlighting can configurably include highlights based
on your documents' DTDs.

As part of the basic vim installation, the CNTL-p and CNTL-n
keystrokes ('complete the rest of this word based on other words that
appear in this or related documents') can go someway toward helping.

Some of the functionality I have just described is not part of the base
vim install but if you visit <http://www.vim.org/> you can search for
plugins that would assist in this.