[plug] linux alt to ghost for ntfs disk, impact on mbr/partition info

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jan 8 12:28:02 WST 2003

> I am considering using linux dd or g4u to take an image of an ntfs disk
> & make a working copy on a smaller disk (then putting ext3 on big one).

No can do with dd.

If its win2k it might let you hot-shrink the partition in the disk
manager (anybody know?) to the right size, then you /could/ dd it across.

> Partimage is 'experimental' with ntfs and I aim to avoid Ghost or IC3
> purchases (any better ideas than dd / g4u?).

Not for NTFS, gotta love keeping your data on an undocumented filesystem
that changes with every service pack :-/

> Given the data itself will fit onto the new smaller disk:
> What happens when dd 'runs out of track'?

Bad. You have half a partition on the new disk :-(

> dd gives an error, but does it leave the new disk in a useable format?

No. It might appear OK at first if you're lucky, but half your files
will be gone.

> If it's going to bomb anyway then do exact counts matter if partition is
> nowhere near full ?(calc guestimate below).

The partition is not filled up in strict order - you may have files
scattered across the entire disk. AFAIK, NTFS cannot be ordered like
FAT32 can and then "cut" - doesn't work that way.

> What of the mbr and partition info on the new disk?

Unchanged.