[plug] Starting OpenOffice individual components

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jan 8 21:53:46 WST 2003

> The reason for this follow-up is that I'm not convinced that starting
> individual components makes a wick of difference to the memory footprint.

It doesn't AFAIK. Reviewers on websites keep on talking about how one
advantage of oo.o over so5.2 is the separated apps - but theyre not
separated. They're the same executable, with (maybe?) .so libs loaded
for different parts. After the main apps start each new window, be it
swriter or impress or whatever, is just a new thread or two I seem to
remember.

Thats why if you run swriter then simpress, simpress takes about 1/2 sec
to start if that where swriter might've taken 15s. Ditto the other way
around. OTOH just having the oo.o binaries cached in RAM makes a big
difference to speed, even if theyre' not running.

Craig