[plug] linux alt to ghost for ntfs disk, impact on mbr/partition info

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jan 8 23:20:36 WST 2003

Hello Daniel,

At 11:47 AM 08-01-2003 +0800, you wrote:
>Hello Plug,
>I am considering using linux dd or g4u to take an image of an ntfs disk
>& make a working copy on a smaller disk (then putting ext3 on big one).
>Partimage is 'experimental' with ntfs and I aim to avoid Ghost or IC3
>purchases (any better ideas than dd / g4u?).

Have you considered using Partition Magic ?

It supports NTFS - and you can use it to copy/move partitions from one HDD
to another.

If you know somebody who has Partition Magic (version 5 or better) - get
them to make you a pair of 'emergency boot disks' - that's all you need to
do the job.

1 - Use partition magic to 'shrink' the partition - then 'copy' the whole
partition to its new home on another HDD.

2 - Both HDD's must be in the same PC when you do the copy/move.

3 - You can use the 'move' option but it is safer to use the 'copy' option -
that way if something does go wrong during the transfer operation - at least
your original NTFS partition will still be intact.

4 - When the 'copy' process is succesfully completed - you can delete the
original partition.

If you do not know anybody with a copy of Partition Magic (version 5 or
better) - contact me off list.

Regards Arie