[plug] Centralised Bookmarking

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Jan 10 14:47:34 WST 2003

On 10 Jan 2003, ryan at is.as.geeky.as wrote:

> Date: 10 Jan 2003 14:04:15 +0800
> From: "ryan at is.as.geeky.as" <ryan at is.as.geeky.as>
> To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
> Subject: [plug] Centralised Bookmarking
>
> Does anyone know of some kind of centralised bookmarking method to hold
> all my Internet bookmarks in one accessible place, or synchronise them
> across all places?
>
> On a daily basis I use 5-6 machines with different web browsers, over
> time and due to my own laziness this results in an accumulation of
> bookmarks on each and every browser (about 20 so far).
>
> The emphasis would be on the ability to add new ones very quickly with
> minimum hassle and to be able to read them similarly.  Thus one of my
> own web-based hacked-together-cgi solutions might suffice if I can be
> bothered.  I guess it could deploy a cookie the first time you login and
> then never need to ask for login details again if it finds the cookie to
> keep it all fast and unobtrusive.
>
> The majority of the machines are Linux based, thus a web-based solution
> need not be the requirement, though that would make it more portable to
> Windows machines.
>
> There are a couple of projects on source forge but they are either Linux
> console based only, or have no files posted.
>
> Anyone else got this need or am I just a complete freak? [please keep
> answers to this question on-topic] :)
>
> TIA,
>
> Ryan

If you have a word processor (eg Star Office-> Star Writer), installed
on each OS on each machine, that can export documents to HTML format,
and, if you have permissions to write to a web server file from each
machine, then you could simply open (or keep open, while logged in and
browsing) the word processor, and copy the URL's to the central file,
which you have bookmarked in each browser; then you have a central
bookmark file. You then simply reload the web page, as needed, and use
the "Open Link in New Tab/Window)", and away you go. I would, however,
be wary of using MS Word to do this, as it does wonky things with HTML,
whereas Star Office is cleaner.

I had done a similar thing, on a shared data partition, on my (older)
multiple boot system, and, found it quite useful, when I was switching
browsers (eg, between Star Office and Netscape), apart from switching
between operating systems.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988