[plug] Centralised Bookmarking

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Fri Jan 10 14:49:53 WST 2003

On 10 Jan 2003, ryan at is.as.geeky.as wrote:

> Does anyone know of some kind of centralised bookmarking method to hold
> all my Internet bookmarks in one accessible place, or synchronise them
> across all places?

> The majority of the machines are Linux based, thus a web-based solution
> need not be the requirement, though that would make it more portable to

Have you considered sharing the bookmarks.html over NFS or SMB?
Put a symbolic link where the files normally go. And be careful you dont
try to change it from two browsers at the same time.

Alternatively, you could write a wrapper script for the browser that
downloads the bookmarks.html by ftp/rsync, and uploads it regularly, or on
exiting.
You could even put some simply file-locking in the script. It would
work for windows too.

I'd like to know of any better alternatives.

--
    One seldom sees a monument to a committee.