[plug] OS X packages

Simon Scott sscott at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 12 11:35:20 WST 2003

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003 18:40, Shayne wrote:
> Infact, unless Apple have open sourced quicktime, which I *highly* doubt,
> then the odds are zero. OSX doesn't use X for most things, has a completely
> different linking architecture, different API's and much more. Plus yeah
> the PPC compile target is kinda fundamental to the issue. Sure OSX is a
> unix of sorts, but only of sorts and linux is a unix only of sorts.

Id say Linux is alot closer to 'unix' than OS X. Apple did a damn fine job,
but they bastardized alot of what we hold dear...... Besides which they didnt
open source it or release a x86 version - so once again its a case of Apple
*nearly* changing the face of computing :\

> That's not to say of course that oneday someone makes a OSX thunking layer
> for the PPC linux platform (Ie a Wine for the mac) but not right now.

Dunno alot about the architecture, but I guess its possible - if they released
the source of carbon/cocoa (??? running from memory) we could probably just
run it on top of the framebuffer or something.

> > (i.e. most movie trailers etc..). And no, it's unlikely you can use the
> > binary because it's for a different OS with different UI and libraries,
> > and it's compiled for PowerPC, not x86.

No chance.....

> >     http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/

mplayer rocks, as an aside, has anyone found/made anything to make the mplayer
interface nicer for using it with xbox/other small entertainment device??? I
mean like simple menuing etc