[plug] Linux auto login

Jason Smuts jason at mantacom.com
Mon Jan 13 16:49:04 WST 2003

> > Hi guys/gals,
> >
> > I have been trying to get a linux box to automatically login as a
> > particular (non-root) user.  I have only very limited experience
with
> > Linux so if anyone knows of some magic that could help me here ...
>
> If you can run gdm on your system (in runlevel 5), look at the
AutomaticLogin > or TimedLogin options in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf.

'fraid not Russell.  I would prefer not to run a display manager, just
one application on top of X windows.  I don't want the user to be able
to do anything but run this custom application.  Unless gdm can be
trimmed down (no desktop, no window manager, etc).  Any other ideas?
How does gdm achieve its auto login?

Cheers,

Jason.