[plug] Linux auto login

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Mon Jan 13 17:06:23 WST 2003

On Mon, Jan 13, 2003 at 04:49:04PM +0800, Jason Smuts wrote:

| 'fraid not Russell.  I would prefer not to run a display manager, just
| one application on top of X windows.  I don't want the user to be able
| to do anything but run this custom application.  Unless gdm can be
| trimmed down (no desktop, no window manager, etc).  Any other ideas?
| How does gdm achieve its auto login?

Dunno about gdm but kdm can be configured in this way.  Set up a
.xsession to run your program (could even be a symlink to .xinitrc), and
tick all the kdm config options that sound appropriate.  When kdm starts
it will immediately login in as whatever user you told it to without
displaying anything, and run your .xsession which in turn starts your
custom app.  You /will/ get a normal KDM login box if your custom
program exits or crashes (though not if X crashes), so perhaps you want
your xsession to look a bit like this:

while true; do
	/usr/local/bin/something_odd >>/var/log/something 2>&1
	echo "`date`: crashed again! d'oh!" >>/var/log/something
done

CP.