[plug] [OT] ish - LCA

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 14 00:03:43 WST 2003

> I dont mean to diss LCA, I just found it hard to define their target
> audience.

It's a technical conference, so the target audience is technical people
working on or with Linux. Presumably you are neither.

The first day I'll be going to the autoconf/automake presentation - that's a
big hole in my knowledge as a Linux software developer. In the afternoon I'll
be going to Rusty's talks on kernel hacking, more out of interest than real
need.

The next day is a bit quiet for my interest, but it sees the "big iron" talk,
and as someone who has driven a 32 CPU AIX box, I'm looking forward to seeing
the Linux side of this sort of hardware. Not sure what the Q & A session will
be like, but I've seen others and they're often fun.

Next day sees talks from H Peter Anvin, Tridge and Alan Cox. I've seen Alan
Cox present before and he's very good. The Debian keynote could be good too.

The final day sees Tridge's keynote and a couple of highly technical looking
talks. I'll have to choose between the Kernel Device Model talk and the
Network Apps under UNIX talk.

I'm a bit disappointed that they didn't get any big-project user space people
in - Apache, Perl, etc. I'd quite like to see the PHP stuff, but it clashes
with other things I'd prefer. I'd quite like to have seen ESR, or someone
like that do something too.

Bottom line for me is that there's probably more there than I can take in in 4
days. It's a great line up. If you can't see the point, then the conference
clearly isn't aimed at you.