[plug] Need help with grip under SuSE 8.1

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Tue Jan 14 09:35:26 WST 2003

----- Forwarded by Richard Meyer/Australia/Contr/IBM on 14/01/2003 09:29 AM
-----

                      Andrew Furey
                      <simpware at yahoo.c        To:       plug at plug.linux.org.au
                      om>                      cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: [plug] Need help with grip under SuSE 8.1
                      14/01/2003 09:16
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      plug

>> I get a message from the CD player that either a
>> CD is not in the tray or my permissions are wrong
>> for the CD/ROM. I have checked /dev/cdrom, and the
>> permissions are rwx for everything (owner, group,
>> world).

>Is /dev/cdrom a symlink to your real (IDE?) device,
>perchance? (In which case it will always come up rwx
>for everyone.) Try checking the permissions on the
>device it links to.

Yes, it is. Points to /dev/hdb whose permissions are somewhat "more
restrictive" rwx for owner who is root, and nothing for anybody else. Group
is disk (IIRC).

D'you suggest I update the group permissions and add the users to the
group, or just give rwx permissions to world + dog?

Cheers
RichardM
HTH
Andrew

=====
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.
Language, be it English or something else, is the only tool flexible
enough to accomplish a sufficiently broad range of tasks.
                          -- Bill Garrett

- What's on at your local cinema?