[plug] VPN and Mozilla

Brad Campbell brad at seme.com.au
Tue Jan 14 18:05:42 WST 2003

Craig Ringer wrote:

>> I access the network by running ppp over ssh to create a secure vpn
>> into the office. I have debian on my laptop and the whole thing works
>> a treat.
>> I figured this was the most secure way to run the wireless network.
>> Problem is, I have an employee who wants to do the same, but with
>> windows. I can ssh in using putty with no problem, is there a ppp
>> client or similar for windows that will allow me to securely vpn in?
>> Or are there other options?
>

> IPSEC and FreeS/WAN might work if the user has win2k or newer, but I
> don't know about interoperability issues. Alternately, I could've
> sworn putty supported port forwards? A simple batch file that uses
> putty might  well do the trick.
>
> If not there's always PPPTP but again I have no experience with that.

Looks like PoPToP is the way to go, I have win2k and XP clients, and
they have pptp vpn build in. I have it working now, I just need to
compile mppe encryption into pppd and I should be able to get a fully
encrypted link running.
Probably overkill to have the thing WEP 40bit encrypted and then mppe I
suppose.

Cheers..
Brad