[plug] 3d Savage

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jan 15 15:43:14 WST 2003

> I am looking at getting a Bare Bones AMD Duron 1.1 from Best Buy
> computers. The motherboard is a ECSK7SOM and I can't find out any thing
> about it except it has a 32Mb Savage 3D card onboard. How good is linux
> support for this card and does anybody now were I can get more Info
> forthe motherboard from?

Hmm... I thought the Savage3D was an S3 card ... (goes over to look at
card on shelf) yep.

I used to use an AGP one, and it was unreliable as all hell. Turning off
save-unders helped for some reason, but X was sluggish and it was still
far from ideally reliable. It used to just freeze the machine. Replacing
the card with ( I think, this was ages ago ) a TNT2 fixed it.

I was using it pre- XFree86 4 though. Check their support pages and make
sure its even supported for XFree86 4 before going ahead. If it is,
it'll probably use the "savage (4)" driver.

Craig