[plug] 3d Savage - try ASUS nForce instead

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Wed Jan 15 15:10:11 WST 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, I am the LinuxAlien wrote:

> I am looking at getting a Bare Bones AMD Duron 1.1 from Best Buy computers.
> The motherboard is a ECSK7SOM and I can't find out any thing about it

Tim, if you want an integrated motherboard for AMD, I would strongly
recommend

  Asus A7N266VML Mainboard for AMD Processors; NForce chipset; Socket A,
  ATA100; GeForce Onboard; LAN; Dolby Dig Sound; AGP; 3 PCI

Only $109 at netplus, similar elsewhere. I have one - seemed like a
bargain when I paid a lot more. Its geForce2 3D. nVidia supply Linux
drivers for everything - audio, network, video, incl fast GLX.
  You loose a bit of 3D speed with shared memory, but  its still good.
And of course, you can rely on ASUS for a good product.

Needs DDR RAM, but thats not a bad idea anyway, especially when its shared
with video.

BTW, Bestbuy doesnt have the best reputation. They make other box-movers
look high-service.

--
    One seldom sees a monument to a committee.