[plug] internal modem device

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Thu Jan 16 11:25:09 WST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 10:39:46AM +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an internal modem that I know works with linux.  It is in an old
> pc here at work and I need to get it going.  how do I know what device
> it is?

Quick and dirty method:

Run minicom as root.  Experiment with each serial device (/dev/ttyS0
through to /dev/ttyS4 are the most likely), setting comms parameters to
say, 9600N81 on each one, and typing "<return>AT<return>".  One of them
should give you "OK" as a reply, or possibly a numeric code depending on
the modem setup.  That one's your modem.

<Ctrl-A>P gives you the comms parameters menu in minicom.  <Ctrl-A>Z
gives you the complete setup menu.  <Ctrl-A>Q to exit minicom.

If you have a working serial mouse, you should find out what port that's
connected to, and exclude that port from your testing.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
HELP!  Man trapped in a human body!