[plug] internal modem device

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Thu Jan 16 15:19:52 WST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 11:25, Russell Steicke wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 10:39:46AM +0800, Tim Bowden wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I have an internal modem that I know works with linux.  It is in an old
> > pc here at work and I need to get it going.  how do I know what device
> > it is?
>
> Quick and dirty method:
>
> Run minicom as root.  Experiment with each serial device (/dev/ttyS0
> through to /dev/ttyS4 are the most likely), setting comms parameters to
> say, 9600N81 on each one, and typing "<return>AT<return>".  One of them
> should give you "OK" as a reply, or possibly a numeric code depending on
> the modem setup.  That one's your modem.
<snip>

OK,  found the internal modem.  I am trying to track down an
intermittent fault with a dialup connection.  On the existing external
modem (ttyS0) pppd usually dies after a few minutes and returns code 16
which is 'modem hung up'.  pppd is returning code 10 on the internal
modem so that is probably an init string error- I haven't tried setting
it yet.  I put a new external modem on ttyS0 and it worked fine, so it
looks like the old modem is crook.

Is there any way of testing the serial ports to make sure they are not
crook?  I'd like to eliminate any other sources of error if I could.

Thanks,
Tim Bowden