[plug] Wireless broadband

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Fri Jan 17 10:48:37 WST 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, quoth Richard Meyer:

> Coincidentally, I got a flyer from a bunch called iWireless, who are
> evaluating supplying broadband via wireless to the Northern suburbs. They
> are evaluating interest ATM.

Looks like they are hoping to set up a wireless ISP using consumer-grade
wireless equipment.  Considering the rather poor performance of 802.11b in
"outdoors" environments combined with the 2.4GHz spectrum becoming rather
crowded I'd say that's a little ambitious!

> Anyone know these people? Have they implemented anything already?

They seem to still be in the planning stage at the moment, so what's on
their website now may not reflect what they end up rolling out.

 - Matt

P.S. I'm not a competitor trying to shoot them down, but I'm one of the
     people currently rolling out a private 802.11b based network
     in the Perth metro area, and have realised I would not want to run
     an ISP on this technology! :)
     see http://www.wafreenet.org/ and http://www.e3.com.au/