[plug] Mandrake on the rocks?

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 17 14:54:09 WST 2003

> But you are correct, it'll sadden me if they go under. It really is a nice
> distro to install. If only they didn't install that silly service to turn
> on the num-lock.

Can't say I'm surprised. Putting millions into your product, then giving it
away isn't a great business model, IMHO. It can be made to work, but there's
only so much room in the market to support it. Redhat have that market sewn
up, AFAICS.

I think SuSE have the model just about right at the moment. They don't make
ISOs available, and protect their product by having a restrictive licence on
their installer. Friends can share it on a non-profit basis, but somewhere
along the line SuSE have made some money because someone had to buy the
disks.

I guess the free software purists don't like it, but you can't half see the
sense of it in their product. They can afford top quality engineers and
produce a top quality product, and still turn a profit without relying on IPO
money.