[plug] Voice over IP

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 17 15:04:19 WST 2003

On Friday 17 January 2003 12:34, Stephen Boak wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Anybody using voice comms over IP, and if so, what works over 56k
> dialup (that only really runs at 32k)? I'm down in Nannup, so I'm
> hoping for a cheaper option to talk to people in the city and
> overseas rather than paying exhorbitant ammounts of money to Tel$tra
> every time I make a phone call!

No Linux solution, but I've recently been using Ivisit (www.ivisit.com) on a
Windows box to talk to folks back in the UK. It's astonishing. On a broadband
connection you get a webcam sized image at 30fps, with speech quality which
is much better than the phone.

My in-laws have a dialup modem and they get 2-3fps, with very acceptable
speech quality.

If only Ivisit did a Linux client...

--
Microsoft Palladium: "Where the hell do you think YOU'RE going today?"