[plug] Voice over IP

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Fri Jan 17 15:06:28 WST 2003

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Stephen Boak wrote:

> Anybody using voice comms over IP, and if so, what works over 56k

I tried it years ago, but the latency over dialup was too high to tolerate
for long. We had to end each talk with "over".  Has this situation
improved fordialup?

> dialup (that only really runs at 32k)? I'm down in Nannup, so I'm

You have mobile cover there, so that gives some options for cheap calls,
such as the current "5 mins for 18c".
  For overseas calls, calling cards are always best, so you just need a
cheap call to the Perth access number. Its possible to get free mobile
calls after 9pm.

Sorry thats all OT though. Search for H.323 on google/Linux.

--
    One seldom sees a monument to a committee.