[plug] LAN Gateway + mail Server

I am the LinuxAlien linuxalien at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jan 20 14:20:52 WST 2003

Doing some research on the net lead me to a similar request with out a
solution that I could find. It describes pretty much what I need as well.
Thanks
Tim
p.s. I'm not sure about the mail server though. It will be multiple email
accounts.
It must be able to provide:
    * Mail (IMAP server, and either fetchmail or SMTP client)
    * IP Masq
    * DNS caching and server
    * DHCP server
    * Dialup to Optusnet
    * HTTP server to local network to allow users to raise/lower the
connection > and shut the machine down via the web, with password protection.
At 13:57 20/01/2003 +0800, you wrote:
>I am looking at setting up a LAN gateway and mail server. I was think of
>using Debian or a Gateway specific distro. The Internet connection is
>going to be a dialup connection.
>The things that it will need are:
>    * Mail server with POP3 access and Web mail access with folder support
> and keeping copys of outgoing messages
>    * Gateway for dialup connect that users have control of. i.e. they can
> dial out and disconnect on will, preferably through a web interface.
>    * Firewall
>The majority of the computers that will be using it are Windows and some
>will need the POP3 access and others the web mail.
>Also the Internet connection must only be dialed when it is instructed to
>by a user.
>It will need to have a SMTP server on it that will receive the message
>from the computers using POP3 access and then send the messages when it is
>connected to the Internet
>Any suggestions as to the Distro, webmail, and other scripts and
>interfaces would be appreciated
>Thanks
>Tim
>
>LinuxAlien