[plug] LAN Gateway + mail Server

ryan at is.as.geeky.as ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Mon Jan 20 14:47:34 WST 2003

You might want to investigate Mitel's SME server:

http://www.e-smith.org/content/downloads/

I remember someone on this list using it for clients.  I had a brief
look several months ago and it does everything you mention IIRC.  All
web based config.

If you don't have the required Linux knowledge to pull this off, it
could get quite ugly and insecure.  This list is here to help though,
and many others would benefit from the discussion.  You'd be well
advised to document what you do from scratch to help other people later
on also.

If you want to persist and learn how to do it with a Debian box (as
opposed to SME server), it will be far more flexible and satisfying
IMHO, but that depends what your goals are.

My 2c probably looks like a lot of others:

Debian, Bind, dhcp, Apache, Horde IMP Webmail (plus the rest of the
useful Horde utils), Sendmail, mailscanner, f-prot (virus scanner for
mailscanner), uw-imapd, qpopper, IPTables

Don't know about dial-up control via web interface ... one could
probably hack apart smoothwall/ip-cop's implementation of it and do it
their way.

Ryan