RE Misinformation and General Commonsense. Was [plug] Linus Torvalds' role at conference

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 21 19:01:49 WST 2003

For FSCK sake people!

<soapbox>

Many Linux people are in full time jobs putting into practice what the
plug list usually talk about. Many have forgone LCA for paid work (ask
anyone about Computing unemployment at the moment) and Linus *may* have
the been the final straw to put their money down (remember that those
who do the work don't have the discounts students do). I pre-registered
but lack the funds at the moment. (January is always quite time for
computer sales and service...)

We are not groupies by default and I'm a tad offended at the suggestion
that anyone who joins now is "probably one of the groupies"

How about telling us this BEFORE the conf starts allowing requests for
holiday leave and/or scrounging the full $550

I deal with non-linux people almost every day, and the overwhelming
response is that a large proportion of "linux geeks" are arrogant and
lack commonsense. Until now I've defended them.

Maybe it would have made more sense to "leak" (as Nvidia would do) this
to the press a week or a fortnight before the conf to make a final sales
pitch. Remember we're also here to bring more people out of the quagmire
of closed source. What better incentive than to meet the guy who posted
a small bit of  source code all those years ago?

</soapbox>

Regards,

Craig Foster
fostware at iinet.net.au (with SMIME)
(busy fixing up a monstrosity of a plug members' linux fsck up)