RE Misinformation and General Commonsense. Was [plug] Linus Torvalds' role at conference

garry garbuck at westnet.com.au
Wed Jan 22 21:16:39 WST 2003

If most of us make a decision we later regret, we take it on the chin with an
"oh well"..

No matter what the process you went through in your decision, no matter what
factors you used, it was an assessment made by one person. Being bitter about
a decision YOU have made is just plain silly, innit?

Linus' attendence is really icing on the cake, trust me. The lectures I have
heard have been all given by people who are clearly boffins. I have very much
enjoyed Rusty's humour, Bdale's enthusiasm and motorvation, Trent's depth of
knowledge and guts for public speaking as well as Rassmus' surprisingly
capable baby, PHP..

This is after only the Debian Miniconference and first day of the conference
proper. Rubbing shoulders and chatting with some of the brightest minds on
the planet, meeting fellow enthusiasts from around the world and learning
about projects by the people who actually started and/or head them is a real
treat.

If YOU were too short sighted to see the potential, or too shallow to only
appreciate the closeness of Linus, it is only due to the thought process of
ONE person. YOU.

One way or another, everyone attending is there due to sacrifices they have
made. Don't be bitter I say.

Reards

Garry.