[plug] Proposed tax on blank Cdr

Chris Caston caston at iinet.net.au
Tue Jan 21 19:31:58 WST 2003

There's an article in the Australian about a proposed tax on CDr and
DVDr:

http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,5866158%5e16123%5e%5enbv%5e,00.html

Personally I think this is uncalled for. I use my burner for the
following purposes:

* Weekly backup of home directory
* To put utils and drivers on disc for customers
* Backup of customers systems and documents
* Distribute Open Source software
* Copy Linux CD's (such as Debian and Knoppix)
* Backup CD's that I have purchased to prevent scratching the original
(I do NOT share copies but need to do this as I often leave discs on my
desk outside of their packet)

Other legitimate uses for CDr would include:

* Storing personal photos
* Storing your own music like if your an musician or band member
* Storing personally produced video
* Storing classical works such as Mozart.
* Custom ghost images for corporate SOE's that use Windows and have
purchased all the required licensees, "upgrade advantages" etc
* Windows for fresh installs with slip streamed service packs and
updates etc
* Distributed of software that has been personally produced.

regards,

Chris Caston