[plug] Linus Torvalds' role at conference - was Re: [plug] is this true!!!!

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Jan 21 23:20:26 WST 2003

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 12:29 pm, Bret Busby wrote:
>> The article is wrong.  Linus _is_ comming to perth and he will be
>> attending parts of LCA2003.  Linus is _NOT_ speaking.  If you look at the
>> programme you will NOT see his name there.

> The misinformation (?) continues.

And this is unusual for ZDNet? (-:

> ZDNet Australia today reported "Torvalds.....will join an already
> high-profile speaker list."..."ZDNet Australia will be covering the
> conference".

> The article, written by Brendon Chase, is dated today. The title of the
> article is "Torvalds appears at Aust conference".

Appears, yes. With wife and 3 daughters in tow. Speaks, no.

In point of fact, Andrew Miller from Australian Developer magazine has just
flown in and will be covering the conference, they've had this planned wince
Nov2002. Dunno about ZDNet, they may well have changed their mind when the
news broke.

LinMagAU have been covering this since Sunday (hi, Kim!).

I don't know whether anyone planned this, but the nett effect will probably be
heaps of coverage for the Conf, but not getting Linus swamped in excitable
morons. Hurrah!

Cheers; Leon