RE Misinformation and General Commonsense. Was [plug] Linus Torvalds' role at conference

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Jan 23 09:21:55 WST 2003

On Thursday 23 January 2003 07:29 am, Craig Foster wrote:
> the organisers knew of of 'yet another sweetner' (even said as much
> in the original post). While I do appreciate the fact that Linus'
> schedule wasn't set (didn't know before), I think a bit more
> promotion besides 'guess what we forgot to tell you, Linus is coming'
> a day before the conf wouldn't have gone astray, especially as PLUG
> is supposed to promote linuxconf.

Absence of a media blanket in the leadup == no Linus. Simple enough?

    And if you were in his shoes, would you blame him? Fame can get
    _very_ wearing. As you can see from the photos, he's no rock star,
    no superhero, (quoting Rodney Dangerfield) "just a regular guy"
    with a life and a family. Put yourself in that situation and see
    how it feels after several _years_.

The conf organisers, James in particular, are doing well to have a Linus at
all. He skipped a NY Linux convention (ie much closer to his current home) to
come to this.

Cheers; Leon