[plug] Linus

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Tue Jan 21 23:24:46 WST 2003

On Tuesday 21 January 2003 10:22 pm, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:
> I was at the dinner table with Linus and his wife and three children
> tonight.  They were really nice people (well, the children were asleep
> for most of the time, but Linus in particular was really nice).  He
> wasn't pretentious or condescending or aloof.  We spoke about things
> like his Californian accent and the peculiarities of the Finnish
> language, his travel plans, the earliest versions of the Linux kernel,
> penguins, life at Transmeta, spam, Bitkeeper, being a father, how RMS
> hates him, ipv6, and responding to letters from Eagle Scout leaders.
> They are tired and jetlagged but like real troopers they will be roaming
> around tomorrow morning for the first day of the conference.  Top marks
> to the Torvalds family!

Agree. Nice bloke, not a publicity hog.

Come to think of it, quite a few like that are due in. I look forward to
seeing HPA again, and got to meet lots of other legends like Allen/Telsa,
Bdale, and Paul Waugh.

Some door sales tomorrow morning, if you get here early to beat the media
flacks. http://linux.conf.au/

Cheers; Leon