[plug] XFree86 - ridiculous memory consumption

James Devenish devenish at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 23 14:50:18 WST 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 01:59:34PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
> On a total aside, wouldn't it be nice if ps & top understood linux
> threads and could hide everything but the parent thread of a threaded
> process?

Amen. The Linux thread/process thing gets on my nerves. Does anybody
know of the de facto uniprocessor analogues in Linux for these
Solaris/OpenBSD things:

ptree (i.e. something where I can select a random process and see its
ancestors -- the psmisc's pstree for Debian seems only to show the
selected process and its children),

pstack (show currently-executing lwp stack traces -- different from
strace/truss),

pmap -x (show memory shared/resident/etc per process).

pflags (clearly shows a thread summary for the given process, including
sleep states).

And if a process is idle, is there a convenient app to show what it's
sleeping/waiting for.