[plug] XFree86 - ridiculous memory consumption

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sat Jan 25 23:16:23 WST 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 01:59:34PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

| OK, I'm using the nv drivers here at work on a TNT2...
|
|   PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
| 24145 root       7 -10 77372  27M  6728 S <   0.7  8.6   1:51 XFree86

Finally worked out what was causing the problem: incredible brain damage
on the part of the WindowMaker developers :-P  I have eight virtual
desktops with different 2304x864 background images.  For some reason, WM
was loading them all into XFree's cache-y thing at once, even when they
weren't actually being displayed.  Grrr.  With no desktop background
image, X is only taking up ~10mb and my swap file is happy again.

--CP.