[plug] Problem with RH 6.2 to 7.3 upgrade

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Jan 24 13:25:50 WST 2003

Here is the problem.

We use RH 6.2 for our dialup/gateway/mailserver computer.

We use ppd to dialup, a complicated ipchains-based firewall (because we
are confident that it works, and we do not know enough about firewall
creation and maintenace, to do otherwise), fetchmail to download emails,
and postfix for internal email distribution.

For a number of reasons, including ease of updating, and consistency of
OS version, we tried recently to upgrade the server, by replacing RH 6.2
with RH 7.3. This was done by replacing the HDD's used, and installing
RH7.3 on the replacement HDD. We then installed the configuration files
used for the Internet connections, that we had been using on RH 6.2; the
dialup script file and /etc/ppp/options, the firewall file, and the
postfix configuration file.

We could connect to the ISP okay, and send ane receive emails okay, but
could not then sustain the connections for more than an hour. I phoned
the ISP, and the response was that it was our installation, as the
previous connect times had averaged 16 hours.

We replaced the RH 7.3 installation with the RH 6.2 installation, and
the problem disappeared.

Why would it be that the files would work okay with RH 6.2, but be
unable to suatain connections for more than an hour, with RH 7.3? In
which of the files, would the problem be likely to occur?

I had considered upgrading to RH 8.0 (with the help of a
conference-discounted book), but was told that advice had been given
that too much in RH 8.0 is broken, as I had also been advised had
occurred with RH 7.0, 7.1, and 7.2.

Thanks in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby