[plug] Problem with RH 6.2 to 7.3 upgrade

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Jan 24 17:18:38 WST 2003

Whilst not that familiar with the later redhats, a lot did change
between versions including security, file locations etc.  Did you vet
the config files against those replaced?

It is also possible for outside factors to to affect online time,
including in one case for me an email message with an embedded hangup
string that only created problems on send, not when it was received.
Online time was semi-random due to postfix's send of queued mail!

As well as /var/log/messages, does that version of redhat use a separate
more detailed /var/log/syslog like Mandrake?  Add the debug string to
your dialup script and check the result.  Put the system online with no
services running and gradually add functions until the cause is found -
difficult if it is a business gateway, but may be the only way to
isolate it.

Are you using an ipchains compatible kernel?

Using stone aged software and configurations with new software can cause
problems as better security and advanced features often come at the cost
of increased flexibility and setup time - using old config files may
open security holes etc if not tuned to the current application.

BillK