[plug] trying to use emacs "tags" facility

David Buddrige buddrige at wasp.net.au
Wed Jan 29 17:28:25 WST 2003

Hi all,

I am told that there is a facility within emacs to define "tags".  My
understanding of this facility is that it allows you to automatically
navigate to the definition of a given class/function when going through
C/C++ source code.

However, I have not been able to figure out how the facility is supposed to
work.  Based on the manual downloadable from www.gnu.org, I used the "etags'
program to generate a TAGS file in the directory containing my source code.
However from that point, I was not able to determine how the navigating
actually works.  I tried running the "list-tags" function within emacs, but
that was asking for the filename to list... does the tags facility actually
allow you to navigate to a function definition from a point in the code
where that function is actually used?  If so, could someone explain to me
how?  Have I misunderstood the application/use of this facility?

thanks heaps

David.