[plug] trying to use emacs "tags" facility

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Wed Jan 29 17:51:44 WST 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 05:28:25PM +0800, David Buddrige wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am told that there is a facility within emacs to define "tags".  My
> understanding of this facility is that it allows you to automatically
> navigate to the definition of a given class/function when going through
> C/C++ source code.

Press M-. (Alt-dot on most keyboards).  If that doesn't work, try Escape
dot.  You'll get asked for a symbol name, defaulting to the symbol at
point, then the name of a tags table, defaulting to TAGS in the current
directory.  You can probably do more with tags, but that's all I've ever
needed.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
The real reason psychology is hard is that psychologists are trying to
do the impossible.