[plug] mod_rewrite: Out of chickens! (OT)

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Jan 29 18:01:47 WST 2003

On Wednesday 29 January 2003 17:39, James Devenish wrote:

> But by the way, you didn't mention to us that the URLs you wanted to
> rewrite actually corresponded to filesystem resources that Apache would
> find in the absence of those rewrite rules. Little facts like your
> current configuration can be of assistance if you want help with said
> configuration.

Actually, they don't. ^_^
That's part of the problem; by tightening the <Directory> definition which is
effected by the rewrite, I had to create directories in the URI place before
remapping it to the proper internal URI (which in then is processed as an
action, which is a file parsed by a Perl module...)

It's complicated. ^_^

> PS. I say this with confidence because I just tested it using an
> almost-default Apache 1 installation. If I move cgi-bin inside htdocs
> that's fine. If I add a rewrite rules inside <Directory ...htdocs> then
> I get the error you got. If I move the same rewrite rules to one level
> above the <Directory> block, it works as far as I can tell.

Yep. But due to our infrastructure (backups, mirroring, ties) it would be
non-trivial to move cgi-bin to a different location just to let this rewrite
work. ^_^

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |