[plug] sony vaio

ryan at is.as.geeky.as ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Thu Jan 30 13:49:12 WST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 13:14, Sol wrote:
> After waiting a month for delivery of a sony vaio pcg-fxa10 from sony online
> (you've been warned - approach sony online with care) that was supposed to
> take less than a week, I am fast approaching the moment of truth when I
> liberate this poor machine from the clutches of the Evil Lord Bill.
>
> Unfortunately there isn't any information on the internet about installing
> Linux on this particular model, though there's info on a close equivalent =
> pcg-fxa32. It all seems rather challenging for my small brain so I thought
> I'd ask if there is anyone who has experience with sony notebooks who might
> be able to offer any words of wisdom (ie: gotchas) before I get going.

Join this list, it will save your life:

My page about the GRX5P might have some clues for you:
http://slowest.net/docs/reference/vaio/

>From what I can tell the CD, Modem and Video are similar and I got them
working.  The problems you are likely to have are with the VIA chipsets
and ACPI involving PCI IRQ problems.  Many people on the linux-sony list
report absolutely nothing working until they have ACPI enabled in the
kernel, on mine however, everything works with it on or off.

Any specific things about it that my page doesn't make clear I should be
able to elaborate on.

Regards,

Ryan