[plug] Disk Space

James Devenish devenish at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jan 30 16:34:33 WST 2003

On Thu, Jan 30, 2003 at 11:22:31AM +0800, I am the LinuxAlien wrote:
> How can /var use more than is used total as shown by 'df'?

Your filesystems probably have a 'hidden reserve' which the root user
can use but other users cannot. df doesn't usually include this in
the 'number of blocks' but does show it in 'used', leading to displayed
usage of 'more than 100%'.

> How can / be shown as using nearly double the actual disk space avalible?

Exactly double? If a block is 512 bytes...
(I mean: if you show "in kibibytes" and get 1024, and then show in
"blocks" and get 2048, you might not be surprised.)

PS. Apologies, I didn't look directly at your outputs as I have no
familiarity with fdisk.