[plug] Disk Space

Mike Holland myk at plug.linux.org.au
Thu Jan 30 16:49:18 WST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, I am the LinuxAlien wrote:

> I am having some trouble with disk space so I was trying to find out where
> it all was going. I then found some interesting things. How can /var use
> more than is used total as shown by 'df'? How can / be shown as using
> nearly double the actual disk space avalible?

I can answer the last bit. You are du-ing not just the / partition, but
everything mounted on top of it. Notably, /proc.  Try "du -x /".

> If /var is using a large amount of disk space what can I remove to clear
> some of it up?

Try "du -x /var | sort -rn | less " to see whts filling it. the 1.9G
doesnt look right.

--
 "I do not think we can hope for any better things now. We shall stick it out
to the end, but we are getting weaker, of course, and the end cannot be far.