[plug] Linux File Systems under Woody

Richard Meyer meyerri at au1.ibm.com
Fri Jan 31 08:12:34 WST 2003

>>> Reiser seems to have this limitation still. I used dd to write huge
files
>>> to a 10GB filesystem, and it craoked after 2GB. Had to run the job in
>>> steps. (dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/S390/file1)

>>nope ; I use huge files in reiser all the time. Just did a test, a 4 gig
>>file created quite happily.

>>I wonder what went wrong on your tests?

>Dunno, was under Reiser that came with SuSE 7.3, which is not *that* old.
I'll check again tonight with Mdk or >RH, using RFS

>RichardM

Followup - just in case anyone cares. I have a spare partition formatted
with Reiser, which I ran
dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/S390/file1 on. This cancelled after writing out 2
GB. I then read the man pages for mkfs.reiserfs (I think that's right) and
reformatted the partition for Reiser 3.6. After that the same dd command
was happy to fill the whole 16GB with zeros, all in one file, so to
summarize - Reiser didn't support > 2GB files, but now it does.

RichardM