[plug] [link] Wouldn't you love a Beowulf cluster of these?

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Jan 31 08:32:33 WST 2003

Evidently, no:

    http://www.shadowflux.com/xbox.html

    So I thought it would be a interesting idea to test the usefulness of
    the XBOX platform as a cluster node, as the XBOX Linux project says
    they are useful as. At the same time I had heard a lot on various
    message boards that individuals were using the XBOX as a Linux desktop
    to check email and browse the web, etc, etc. So, I wrote a grant
    proposal to Saint Vincent College asking for funds to build a Linux
    cluster out of XBOXes. I was issued enough funds to purchase 3 units
    and accompanying hardware for the project.

    [...]

    In conclusion, the XBOX functions well due to the work done by the
    XBOX Linux project. However the same or greater computing power could
    be obtained for an equal price, without the complications of modifying
    the XBOX. This makes the XBOX an unfit solution as a replacement for a
    personal computer or a cluster node.

...and while you're there...

    http://www.shadowflux.com/war.html

    In a matter of 2 hours I managed to find 828 unique wireless access
    points.

Cheers; Leon