[plug] Unstable for Debian

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Jan 31 11:16:51 WST 2003

On Fri, Jan 31, 2003 at 09:20:24AM +0800, Tim White wrote:

| How can i get unstable packages for debian? That is if they aren't in
| the stable realeas. I wish to update KDE and Kmerlin, the latter is more
| important, but some packages i can't get as there is no install
| candidate or something.

Try adding this to /etc/apt/sources.list:
	deb http://ftp.uwa.edu.au/linux/debian testing main non-free contrib
Then apt-get update, apt-get install kde kmerlin, and remove it again if
you don't want to keep using unstable packages.

If you tried something similar and It Broke, it's probably because
Debian unstable is like that ;) - there have been some major changes
recently and there are likely to be more to come when the new KDE makes
it into unstable (hopefully it'll be version 3.1, not version 3.0).

BTW, I use a version of kmerlin with various patches by Bernard
Blackham (of LCA organiser fame).  Amongst other things it has logging
and a few bug fixes, compared to the latest official kmerlins.  If you ask
him nicely he might give you a copy :)

You can also get "unofficial" KDE 3.1 packages for Debian
at http://www.kde.org/ - I think they're for woody, but haven't tried
them myself.

CP.