[plug] [OT] dead, frozen hands

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Fri Jan 31 12:21:04 WST 2003

On Friday 31 January 2003 11:55 am, Mike Holland wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:38 pm, Leon Brooks wrote:
>> OK, I give up, why do you always pick such gladsome taglines? (-:

> It was supposed to be inspiring. Scott is a tragic hero, in ancient greek
> style. One of the legends of modern time.

If that was inspiring, please don't go in for maudlin in a big way. (-:

How about the OpenBSD motto?

    Those who win because they are skilled in conflict are not honored
    for cleverness or credited with heroism. They win because they have
    made no errors. -- Sun Tzu

Or asking people to think of ways that OSS might achieve this?

    Those who win battle after battle do not have supreme skill. Those
    who have supreme skill, use strategy to bend others without coming
    to conflict. -- Sun Tzu

Or something timely:

    On the face of it, Microsoft complaining about the source license
    used by Linux is like the event horizon calling the kettle black.
    -- ``adamba'' in kuro5hin story 2001/6/19/05641/7357

Or something for people who _aren't_ contemplating heroically freezing to
death:

    I cannot help fearing that men may reach a point where they look
    on every new theory as a danger, every innovation as a toilsome
    trouble, every social advance as a first step toward revolution,
    and that they may absolutely refuse to move at all for fear of
    being carried off their feet. -- Alexis de Tocqueville

Or something inspiring for a small band of revolutionaries:

    It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate,
    tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds...
    -- Samuel Adams

I can send you a handpicked list...? (-:

Cheers; Leon