[plug] default route problems

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jan 31 13:35:24 WST 2003

> | <rant>  the reason eth0 was set to dhcp client was so the dlink
> | (generation II, 300+) could be configured using the web management
> | interface it has.  It did not work.  I had to take the dlink to a win
> | box to make a http request from a browser (mozilla in this case).  I
> | could ping it when it was connected to my linux box, but that was all.
> | Why implement http to be platform dependant?????  This seems so stupid
> | and limiting.
> | </rant>
>
> <counter-rant>  I have a DLink 300 with the web-based management page and
> it works fine on Linux and Windows.  There is nothing platform-dependent
> about it - just set up DHCP and go.  </counter-rant>

Mine worked fine for the admin interface - and using "links" at that
since our firewall didn't have X. It couldn't retain line sync for an
entire day though, frequently dropping out after a few hours and
sometimes stayed down for 1/2 an hour or so.

Our nice new Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro fixed it and we have a full months'
uptime on the record.

Craig