[plug] AGM - change of office-bearers?

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Jan 31 14:55:44 WST 2003

On Fri, 31 Jan 2003, Leon Brooks wrote:

> IIRC, two Tuesdays from now, PLUG are having an AGM. Is there going to be a
> change of office-bearers at the time? I know we need to replace JamesB for at
> least a year, but is anyone else thinking of tossing their hat into the ring?

Are you proposing a coup?
:)

Previous AGM's have shown that people have been volunteered to be
office-bearers, like a tag game ("Gotcha - now you're it!"), as there
has been a shortage of volunteers.

> If so, it would probably be better to say so now rather than then, so people
> can drag out and dust off their platforms, check the laces and the glue on
> the heels etc.
>
> The the moment, we have:
>
> Prez: Matt Kemner
> Vice: Jason Nicholls
> Secy/Tres: Tony Breeds-Taurima
> Comm: Daniel Beard, (resigned) James Bromberger

Perhaps, it would be good for them, in addition to any new possible
candidates, to state their feelings/intentions, regarding occupation of
the positions. We know James' position (UK, I believe).

> The AGM would also be a wizard opportunity to start a fire under some new
> ideas, even simple things like charging $2 a head for non-members at talks
> and fixits to firstly encourage formal membership and secondly build up
> PLUG's liquid assets to enable PLUG to independently do stuff like host local
> conferences and talks, hire venues if needed, buy equipment if needed, and so
> on.

Fees for non-members at get-togethers of organisations, are usually to
defray costs of the get-togethers; eg, refreshments, venue hire, etc. As
the venues have, thus far, been provided free of charge (or so I
believe), and no refreshments have been provided, the charging of
attendance fees for non-members, might not be appropriate.

Without knowing the details of the financial situation of PLUG, from
memory, PLUG has not been short of money (notsomuch having heaps of
money; just not being short of it), or so it has appeared at previous
AGM's, hence no great push for financial members.

Also, PLUG has been fairly informal in the past, not worrying much about
formal membership. Are you foreshadowing a change to that policy?

Perhaps, it would be a good idea, for some statistics to be given here;
How many financial members of PLUG exist for each class of membership?
How many of the local attendees at the conference, were financial
members of PLUG?
And, how many attendees at the conference, became financial members of
PLUG (not renewing curreent financial memberships)?
How many subscribers to this list, exist, and, how many are financial
PLUG members? Thus, how many of PLUG's financial members aresubscribers
to this list, and, what proprtion of subscribers to this list, are
financial PLUG members?

What happened regarding money raised by the conference, in relation to
PLUG, as the hosting PLUG? I had assumed that any expenses incurred by
PLUG or any organisers, would have been reimbursed, from the income of
the conference, and it had been suggested to me, by an attendee, that
the hosting LUG should share in the profits, with Linux Australia.

And, speaking of Linux Australia, perhaps (with you being now a
committee member of Linux Australia), the relationship between PLUG and
Linux Australia, could be clarified. Is PLUG affiliated to, or a member
of, or, whatever of, Linux Australia? There is also the issue of Linux
Australia being an umbrella organisation or something, that has been
discussed, especially in the context of the slogan relating to sex and
Linux, that was previously mentioned (on this list, or the SLPWA list, I
believe). There is also the issue of Linux Australia membership, and
attendees at the conference being given membership of Linux Australia.
But, what does membership of Linux Australia involve? What benefits does
it entail? How does membership of Linux Australia, relate to PLUG
membership? Does membership of one, include membership or affiliate
membership of the other?

At some of the early meetings of the SLPWA, there was also the issue of
the relationships of memberships of SLPWA and PLUG. What has happened
about that  or is that still unresolved?

Regarding the reference to PLUG buying equipment, what equipment does
PLUG need, or, is PLUG likely to need, and, why?

What local conferences and talks are needed, that could not be financed
by sponsorship?

> For an example of the latter, I've had a gentleman offer to pay for gear to
> host a local E3 node on Montgomery House (the old Graylands looney bin) if I
> can wangle permission. For PLUG to chip in on that, maybe offer something
> like free shaped access to WAIX through it would be good publicity, and would
> contribute to the education of many of the members

Don't understand that; please clarify. E3?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."