[plug] nvidia success, debian woody

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 2 12:01:27 WST 2003

G'day all!

After a few days of... semi-hacking (yes, yes, lack of a better word, no
pedantry OT posts please), I got the binary nvidia drivers, the official
ones from the website working. In order to do it, I extracted the package
(run the binary file with the --help option and it'll show it in there, how
to extract it) and then cd into the new dir and "make install".

Now modify your X config file as directed and save that, X should now run,
but only for this boot-up I'm afraid. In order to make it permanent, go into
/etc/modutils and make a new file, anything really, I called it nvidia to
avoid confusion, and put the following line in there,

char-major-195 nvidia

Do an update-modules just to be safe and reboot and it should work every
time, sorry if I've missed any steps but I think that's all I did. Anyone
else game to have a go and see if it works for them too? :)

Cheers!
John

Make lunch, not war.