[plug] DVD ROM

Milan Pospisil Milan.Pospisil at swantafe.wa.edu.au
Wed Jul 2 15:09:54 WST 2003

Hi Folks,
               Yesterday, when running Knoppix, my old CD ROM drive decided to tender its resignation effective immediately and without any prior notice. Just so about five seconds of a high pitch noise and that was it.
 Does it make any sense to replace it with another CD ROM drive(which I would have to buy as I do not have any spare one available) or does a DVD ROM drive fully supersede the old CD ROM ie.will I lose something by not having one?
 When it comes to DVD ROMs are there any hardware compatibility problems with respect to Linux I should beware of?  (Sony, LG, LiteOn etc.). Any advise or comment would be appreciated.
     Thanks in advance.
                                    Milan Pospisil