[plug] DVD ROM

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jul 2 15:22:41 WST 2003

>  When it comes to DVD ROMs are there any hardware compatibility problems with respect to Linux I should beware of?  (Sony, LG, LiteOn etc.). Any advise or comment would be appreciated.

There are no issues I'm aware of with the use of DVD-ROMs under linux
for CD, data DVD or unencrypted video DVD media.

If you want to be able to handle encrypted DVD video media, it's a bit
of a PITA thanks to the DVDCCA's attitude. It doesn't usually matter
what DVD-ROM you get (though one with an RPC-1 firmware hack availble is
  nice), you just have to battle software a bit to get DVD playback
going. Mplayer does a good job.

If you just want a CD-ROM replacement, then a DVD-ROM is a fine choice.

Craig Ringer