[plug] Distro Day !!!

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Jul 3 07:47:49 WST 2003

For gentoo, if you can get the box specs ahead of time, you could
pre-compile the packages in a chroot, or local session on another gentoo
machine - the stage 3 install then becomes similar to RedHat etc, with
just a local kernel compile needed on the day.  If the software specs
include X, you are going to be lucky to get a machine in time otherwise

The native gentoo binary install is generic i386 and is intended to be
gone back over and recompiled.  But you can pre-compile the packages on
another machine and replace the generic packages.  Binary installs are
so you can get a machine up and running fast, but you lose most of the
gentoo advantages.  The pre-compiled package method is used for secure
servers where you dont have compilers etc on the destination machine.

Another time saver is having all the tarballs local first: I have them
and can burn a few CD's, or transfer from my laptop if needed - my modem
is not up to transferring that many files in less than a month or so!

And lastly, a gentoo buildfarm  using ccache and distcc and a few
helpful souls (i.e., machines with ccache and distcc) is also a
possibility, but you do need a basic system first, the gains up until
that point are doubtful on a modern system.

BillK