[plug] Rejoice as you use your Linux!

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Thu Jul 3 11:32:51 WST 2003

...for this is not your problem:

    http://www.infoworld.com/article/03/07/01/HNbug_1.html

    The Bugbear and Sobig viruses top a list of the most
    frequently occurring viruses of 2003, according to a
    report put out by antivirus company Sophos.

    A total of 3,855 new viruses were introduced in the
    first half of this year [...], an increase of 17.5
    percent over the same time last year.

    [...]

    Sobig also represents a new direction for virus makers,
    said Mark Sunner, the chief technical officer of email
    security company MessageLabs Ltd. "We're now seeing
    virus technology used by the spam community," he said.

    [...]

    The top ten viruses on Sophos's list were, in order of
    prevalence, Bugbear-B, Sobig-C, Klez-H [still!],
    Sobig-B, Sobig-A, Avril-B, Bugbear-A, Avril-A,
    Fizzer-A, and Yaha-E.

Most of my recent virii have been Sobig-E.

Cheers; Leon