[plug] Rejoice as you use your Linux!

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jul 3 11:42:05 WST 2003

> ....for this is not your problem:

Until some little turd decides it's time to share the joy. Sure, it will
be less damaging and require even greater user stupidity, but linux
viruses/trojans WILL be a serious issue in the future. Don't get into
the habit of thinking that you're fundamentally immune.

This is not to say go and buy a virus scanner - hell, I don't use one on
my 2k partition. Why? Because I only download files from reasonably
reputable sources, never run suspicious software, and never open an
email attachment using mozilla under 2k ... just in case. (actually, I
almost never read my mail under 2k but can do painlessly so because I
use IMAP - same folders, everywhere I go). Oh, and I keep track of the
latest viruses floating around.

I never had a virus scanner even years ago when I used win98 as my
primary OS (relatively briefly - I went from long-time MacOS 7 use ->
brief Win98 -> long term Linux), but I never got a virus. Alertness,
awareness, and a little bit of think-before-you-act seems to do the
trick. Oh, and never using outlook express - ever.

Craig Ringer